Monday, April 6, 2009

Aiguille Verte, Couturier Couloir

My planned rest day on Sunday ended up being spent sportclimbing at Gietroz, Suisse. But today was forecast to be the last day of high-pressure, so rested or not, it was necessary to head back up in the 'pine! On Saturday I had mentioned to Aymeric that I had never climbed Aiguille Verte, and he told me that in Chamonix there is a saying that you are a real alpinist once you have climbed Aiguille Verte. OK then!

I got to the base of Grands Montets at the slacker time of 8:30, and thus had to wait in line for quite a while, finally leaving the Col du Montet at around 9:45. I made good time up the Couturier Couloir, topping out the Aiguille Verte at 11:20. The Couturier is currently icy almost the whole way, and would be terrifying to ski in its present condition. My descent route, the Whymper Couloir, was also disappointingly re-frozen and firm, so I only ended up skiing the middle third of it, and downclimbing the rest. Nonetheless, another nice day out!

Looking down the Couturier Couloir:


Au Sommet de l'Aiguille Vert. Hurrah! Je suis finalement un vrais alpinist!


Steep skiing is always a bit more exciting in climbing boots: